Monday, October 20, 2014

Long-bearded...Rhode Island Red


 
Hello to all,

I hope you are all well. It has been a pretty busy week to say the least, other than the usual going to work, commuting (we all know my thoughts on that subject) and spending time with the family. About a week ago, DR and Co. had the opportunity to see a pretty kick-ass show down at The Sound Academy. We were up in the VIP section thanks to some hook-ups through Jorge, and got a birds-eye view of the concert. The outdoor patio that with a view of Toronto was also a nice touch :) Other than the odd stage light pointing at our faces (man it was blinding) the view and sound was killer! We actually got to sit down for once and anyone who's ever been to a metal concert knows that is a rare occurrence indeed. We arrived just in time to grab a beer and hear Sabaton hit the stage. I have never heard of this band before and I must say it was a different experience and in my opinion Sabaton is more of a folk metal, an up-beat much Europeanized sound is the best way for me to put it. Although it isn't my flavour, I thought they were very good for they're genre. Individually the talent was apparent as every now and again you'd hear some crazy fast guitar solos. Cool double-bass drum beats and some power beats could also be heard which not too many metal drummers use nowadays (Tommy Lee style).

Then there is Amon Amarth......how can I describe them? Watching and hearing them live is like listening to them on your headphones! Amon Amarth do not sacrifice showmanship for sound by any means as they did not miss a single note or beat, and that my friends, is how you really see a band's playing abilities in my opinion. I had missed the opportunity on two occasions to see them live, but I'll be damned if I was going to miss them a third time!

I will go as far to say that they are probably the tightest metal band I have seen live, they barely took any breaks in between songs and it was ninety minutes of straight-forward, pure metal! That's just how we likes it!Now I could go into more detail on Amon Amarth's performance but I think you get the picture. It was cool to be there with my band mates of course, I mean what good is music if you don't have friends to share it with? Sure, Jorge needed a booster seat just to see the show, but that's just how it is sometimes, accommodation is key to a good venue.

It was also the first time in twelve years I got to see a live metal show with Jeff, he's a bit of a stubborn prick and doesn't like 'crowds' but even he wasn't going to pass up the chance to see Amon Amarth live! If he even attempted to ditch this show I would have squeezed his bearded ass in a chicken crate next to a Rhode Island Red, the only way he'd escape would be to peck his ass free.

It was a great way to kick-start the long weekend and damn it I'm glad I didn't miss Amon Amarth.....again!
After seeing show like that I was in the mood to drive down to our studio and play a set, as a matter of fact I'm looking forward to hitting the stage again soon.

Until next time,

Marco

No comments:

Post a Comment